Saturday, January 22, 2011

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin

Jacket image for Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter
Amos, Mississippi, is a quiet town. Silas Jones is its sole law enforcement officer. The last excitement here was nearly twenty years ago, when a teenage girl disappeared on a date with Larry Ott, Silas' one-time boyhood friend.

The law couldn't prove Larry guilty, but the whole town has shunned him ever since. Then the town's peace is shattered when someone tries to kill the reclusive Ott, another young woman goes missing, and the town's drug dealer is murdered. Woven through the tautly written murder story is the unspoken secret that hangs over the lives of two men - one black, one white.
This novel kept me up last night, I just had to finish it. It is a rich Southern novel full of interesting characters with a brooding ominous atmosphere. This is more than a murder story it is a novel thats examines the relationships in a small town when tragedy occurs.

"Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter" is a masterful  novel, sizzling with deep Southern menace, and distinguished by brilliant plotting and unforgettable characters.

1 comment:

Ελλάδα said...

I can't even begin to describe how much I loved this book. Great plot and amazing characters kept me reading for hours until I finished. The themes weaved into this novel are ones I will not soon forget. Incredible messages make me understand exactly why this was nominated for such a prestigious award.

Post a Comment